The SiriusXM OutQ News Blog

News from America's only radio station for the LGBT community.

FL won’t give license to MA gay under his married name

with 5 comments

A new Florida resident says the local DMV office in Naples refused to issue him a new drivers license for that state because he earlier changed his name when marrying another man in Massachusetts.

Anyone applying to transfer their drivers license to Florida must have a valid drivers license in another state, a social security card and birth certificate or Passport.

And that’s just want David Scott Duseau says he took with him to the DMV desk at a local tax collector’s office, along with his marriage certificate from Massachusetts.

And even though both his drivers license and social security card now have his married name, he tells OutQ News a Collier County DMV official wouldn’t recognize his new name because it was through a same-sex marriage.

Duseau: “I was pretty humiliated at the time, and angry. To be turned down by my government, that I support, was pretty infuriating actually.”

Florida, like many other states who haven’t approved them, doesn’t recognizes same-sex marriges from anywhere else.

The DMV says the only option for Duseau is for him to get a court order for the state to honor his new name.

Duseau says that’s unfair, and forces him to go through extra steps a straight person wouldn’t be subjected to.

The Collier County Tax Collector’s office and state DMV officials in Tallahassee have yet to respond to OutQ News for comment.

–Steve Newman in Sarasota


Written by OutQ News staff

April 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Posted in Marriage

Tagged with , , ,

5 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. These people who are having problems with their same-sex marriages in other states are clearly, clearly, clearly being disadvantaged in ways which prove their “second-class status” contentions. Indeed, a heterosexual would waltz into the office and leave without trouble posthaste. This disadvantaged man and others like him are unfortunately going to have to (and indeed should, without even blinking) lodge lawsuit after lawsuit, as many as are necessary, to stop these injustices. The antigay are apparently not going to cooperate by any means whatsoever. Indeed, they create their own self-fulfilling prophecy: This is, indeed, going to have to be stomp-kicked down their throats, but it is no one except they who create that necessity, interestingly.


    April 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM

    • My husband was issued a FL drivers license in his new name, and two months later receives a letter revoking it because the NY name change through marraige is not being recognized! This is absurb! I would like to know of similar litigation in Florida of same-sex marraige applicants being denied or later driving priviledge revocation.

      Ray Opthof

      January 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM

  2. I have the exact problem in virginia! My wife & i married in November, in D.C., & when I went to dmv, they actually changed my name but called me back in to the office 10 minutes afterwards to “revoke” my name change & told me in order to change it i’d have to have a court order! My straight friends have never had to go to court to change their names! It’s not fair.


    April 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM

  3. […] […]


    April 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM

    • Get a Passport in your married name. The Federal Government will issue one in your married name. Then you just need to show the out of state drivers license in that name and the passport. They won’t even know that you are a married gay person.


      April 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: